Friday, June 12, 2009

(More) What I'm Reading

The Last Child, by John Hart

I've been a John Hart fan since his first novel, The King of Lies. The author recently spoke at the North Regional Branch and stated that he thought this novel was his best yet. I have to agree. If you haven't yet discovered John Hart, what are you waiting for? In Last Child, young girls are disappearing in an unnamed rural NC town and 12 year-old Johnny is determined to find his twin sister, who's among the missing. What he unearths is more sinister than anyone imagined, sending shock waves through the community and putting Johnny's own life in danger. This is an excellent read that I couldn't put down.

The Strain, by Guillermo del Toro and Chuck Hogan

Tired of sexy, sensitive vampires? Well, here's an alternative for you! From the creator of the Academy Award-winning Pan's Labyrinth, this novel reminded me of why vampires scared the heck out of me as a kid. The blurb says it all: They have always been here. Vampires. Nesting and Feeding. In secret and in darkness. Waiting. Now their time has come. In one week, Manhattan will be gone. In three months, the country. In six months -- the World. This is a great read -- it grabs you by the throat (pun intended) and doesn't let go. It's the first installment in a trilogy.

Relentless, by Dean Koontz

I've been a Koontz fan for years, but his recent novels were a disappointment. This novel reminded me why I am a fan. Relentless is a great read and fast-paced. Filled with quirky characters and a hint of the supernatural, it had me reading into the wee hours of the morning.

--Tammy H.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Remember, this is a G-rated blog! No profanity or vulgar language, please.