Monday, September 28, 2009

What I'm reading

1. Just finished Jeff Lindsay's fourth installment in his Dexter series, Dexter by Design. When his sister is stabbed in the line of duty, our favorite serial killer tracks down the person he thinks is responsible. But this time Dexter's made a rare mistake, and somebody's out for revenge. What's a psychopathic predator to do when the tables are turned and he becomes the prey?

2. Currently wrapped up in American On Purpose, Craig Ferguson's hilarious, heartbreaking memoir of his misadventures on the road from substance-abusing Scottish punk rocker to sober comedian with his own late-night TV show - and an American citizen. Enjoying it immensely, even if I'm never up late enough to catch Craig's show!

3. Next up will be An Echo in the Bone, the long (long, long, long)-awaited next chapter in Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series. I can't wait to see what Claire and Jamie Fraser are up to, as the American Revolution gets closer and closer; and whatever happened to their daughter Brianna and her family, once they returned to the twentieth century? I'm not even going to peek at the last page on this one - I'd rather be surprised.

How about you? What have you read lately that you want to tell us about?

--Nora

1 comment:

  1. I've just finished reading Craig Ferguson's American on Purpose. Yes, I too found it heartbreaking. If you have watched The Late Late Show since Craig became the host, it gives more insight about things that he has shared with his audience, all along. He doesn't blame, certainly doesn't gloss anything over! However, his story leaves one with a sense of optimism..serves to encourage anyone who has struggles. I really like this book. He is someone that you just like and want him to succeed, to find his fulfillment. As Carrie Fisher said, he was brave to write so honestly. I don't know if I could do that, even though my life has not been as adventurous.

    I also have just read The Lost Symbol. Thought provoking. Causes one to realize, the most important things can sometimes be so simple and "hidden" in plain sight.


    I am now reading Echo in the Bone by Diana Gabaldon. Her stories are ADDICTIVE! I love the historical background, compelling science fiction of the time travelling, and I love Claire and Jamie. Ms. Gabaldon truly makes history come alive! I am intrigued by the way she includes details of the daily life of that time. She ties in so much accurate detail about living close to the land, of animals, plants, the weather, etc. makes the stories so interesting. You are THERE with her characters. I think this would be a fantastic movie or tv series!

    ReplyDelete

Remember, this is a G-rated blog! No profanity or vulgar language, please.